The Desjardins Youth Work Experience Program
THE CJE ASSISTS YOUTH AGES 14 T0 18 WHO ARE LOOKING FOR THEIR FIRST SUMMER JOB.
The Desjardins Youth Work Experience Program (Desjardins Jeunes au Travail) is implemented in collaboration with Caisse Desjardins du Lac-Memphrémagog.
For the students :
The main objective is to develop young participants’ future employability by enabling them to acquire new skills, in particular by offering them:
a first rewarding contact or a first rewarding work experience;
- a training on employment soft skills and basic job search method;
- an awareness workshop on cooperation and financial management
Eligibility Criteria for Students
- Have never had paid work
- Be between the ages of 14-18 years old
- Reside in the territory of MRC Memphrémagog;
- Be a member of the Caisse Desjardins du Lac-Memphrémagog or be willing to become one.
For the Employers
This program’s success depends on the participation of businesses and organizations that agree to hire a young person (14-18 years old) with no work experience.
- Boost business growth potential by receiving funding to hire an employee during the summer period;
- Foster visibility and goodwill by demonstrating social involvement with youth;
- Participate in the socio-professional integration of youth in the region;
- Enable on-the-job training;
- Discourage the out-migration of youth.
Participating organizations commit themselves to respect the objectives of this program. By participating, your organization agrees to:
- Create a 180-hour summer job for a youth aged 14-18;
- Provide a minimum of 30 hours of work per week for at least 6 weeks (hours worked beyond 180 hours will be remunerated at the employer’s expense);
- Pay a minimum wage or more to the employee (the project reimburses 50% of the current minimum wage);
- Train the young person according to the requirements of the company and if the needs of the company allow, offer to keep his/her part-time employment during the school year;
- Ensure that the young employee evolves in a healthy environment within the company in a stimulating framework, offering him a period of integration and observation in order to facilitate his learning;
- Treat the young employee the same way that all other employees are treated, in order to provide a realistic workplace experience.
Eligibility Criteria for Employers – 2019
- Be a member of the Caisse Desjardins du Lac-Memphrémagog;
- Employ a student with no previous work experience for a period of 180 hours (during the summer), and pay a minimum salary;
- Define the student’s duties, supervise and provide the necessary training for the position offered;
- Ensure administrative responsibilities.
If you are a young person looking for your first summer job or an employer who is open to hiring a student with no work experience, contact us to learn more about the Program.
Each summer, 15 employers receive a wage subsidy as part of this project.
For information, contact:
MANON PARADIS, School-Work Balance Agent and Career Counsellor
819-843-3007, EXT. 225